XMPP/Jabber is the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol, a set of open technologies for instant messaging, presence, multi-party chat, voice and video calls, collaboration, lightweight middleware, content syndication, and generalized routing of XML data. OpsGenie is an alert and notification management solution that is highly complementary to XMPP/Jabber.
What does OpsGenie offer to XMPP/Jabber users?
OpsGenie XMPP/Jabber integration plugin utilizes full capabilities of OpsGenie and provides chat integration with XMPP/Jabber. Integration leverages OpsGenie's xmpp-specific executable and marid utility so that OpsGenie alerts and alert actions go into your XMPP/Jabber rooms.
The steps below describes how to integrate OpsGenie and XMPP/Jabber using OpsGenie XMPP/Jabber integration plugin. Note that you may need to slightly alter these instructions depending on your exact Linux distribution and your XMPP/Jabber configuration.
Packages provided support the following systems:
- Red Hat based Linux distributions
- Debian based Linux distributions
Download OpsGenie XMPP/Jabber Plugin
- Download OpsGenie XMPP/Jabber (Linux RPM)
- Run the following command :
rpm -i opsgenie-xmpp-<your_version>.rpm
rpm -U --force opsgenie-integration-<your_version>.rpm
We suggest that you backup your configuration files before update!
- Download OpsGenie XMPP/Jabber (Linux DEB)
- Run the following command :
dpkg -i opsgenie-xmpp-<your_version>.deb
- Download OpsGenie XMPP/Jabber (zip)
- Unzip opsgenie integration zip file which contains Marid package into a directory (C:\opsgenie-integration is the preferred path.)
- To install Marid as a service:
- Open a command window
- Go to marid's home directory.
- For 32 bit systems, run marid.exe -install
- For 64 bit systems, run marid_64.exe -install
Add XMPP/Jabber integration in OpsGenie
Configure OpsGenie to XMPP/Jabber Integration
The plugin uses Marid utility (included in the plugin) in order to send alerts and alert actions to your XMPP/Jabber rooms when an alert is created or an action is executed on an alert in OpsGenie. For example, when an alert is created in OpsGenie, information saying that an alert is created in OpsGenie goes into your XMPP/Jabber room. Also when users acknowledge an alert from their mobile devices using the OpsGenie app, this info will be sent to XMPP/Jabber rooms, and when users add comments to alerts in OpsGenie, add note info will be sent as well. Marid subscribes to alert actions in OpsGenie and reflects these actions on your XMPP/Jabber rooms so that you will be notified for OpsGenie alerts.
Marid is a Java application; therefore requires the Java Runtime version 1.6+ Both the Open JDK and Oracle JVMs can be used.
#JAVA_HOME=<path/to/JDK or JRE/install>
To be able to send alert actions to XMPP/Jabber rooms, Marid gets the configuration parameters from opsgenie-integration.conf file. Thus, configuration file must be filled correctly according to your XMPP/Jabber configuration.
Marid application configuration file is located in:
- For Windows: <MARID_HOME>/../conf/opsgenie-integration.conf
- For Linux: /etc/opsgenie/conf/opsgenie-integration.conf
|apiKey||XMPP/Jabber integration API Key. Copy the API Key from XMPP/Jabber Integration page and paste it to apiKey field in conf file.|
|xmpp.hostUrl||Service name for the XMPP/Jabber server you are using. This hostUrl will be used to create a connection with your XMPP/Jabber server.|
|xmpp.username||Username that you are using during login to your XMPP/Jabber server.|
|xmpp.password||Password that you are using during login to your XMPP/Jabber server.|
|xmpp.room||Room name which alert actions will be sent right into.|
- /etc/init.d/marid start
- /etc/init.d/marid stop
- For 32 bit : marid.exe -start / marid.exe -stop
- For 64 bit : marid_64.exe -start / marid_64.exe -stop
- Or For 32-bit & 64-bit : Start /Stop the service from Windows service control panel
For more information about Marid, you can refer to the Marid support document.