is a popular customer service and communication software. Zendesk can create triggers for customer tickets. By forwarding Zendesk tickets to OpsGenie, you can notify users via iPhone and Android push notifications, email, SMS, and phone calls, track of the alert life cycle, escalate alerts, etc.
What does OpsGenie offer Zendesk users?
OpsGenie provides a powerful two-way integration with Zendesk. When a new ticket is created in Zendesk, a corresponding OpsGenie alert will be automatically created, containing rich information about the ticket. OpsGenie will provide rich notifications with on-call rotation, scheduling etc. features and alert escalations; to ensure the best ticket management for Zendesk customers. As users execute actions on the alerts, like acknowledge, comment or close, the ticket on Zendesk will also automatically be updated with comments about these alert actions.
Functionality of the integration
- When a ticket is created in Zendesk, it creates an alert in OpsGenie.
- When a ticket is solved or closed in Zendesk, it closes the alert in OpsGenie.
- When a comment is added to the ticket in Zendesk, it adds a note to the alert in OpsGenie.
- When an alert is created in OpsGenie, it creates a ticket in Zendesk.
- When an alert is closed, acknowledged, etc. in OpsGenie, it adds a comment to the ticket with corresponding information in Zendesk.
Add Zendesk Integration in OpsGenie
- Please create an OpsGenie account if you haven't done already.
- Go to OpsGenie Zendesk Integration page,
- Specify who should be notified for the Zendesk alerts using the "Teams" field. Auto-complete suggestions will be provided as you type.
- Copy the integration URL by clicking on the copy button or selecting.
- Click on "Save Integration".
Configuration in Zendesk
- In Zendesk, go to the "Admin" page.
- Select "Extensions" under "Settings".
- Click "add target".
- Select "URL target" from the opened list.
- Paste the integration URL you copied earlier into "Url". Select POST as "Method". Enter ticket into the "Attribute Name" field.
- Select "Create target" and click "Submit".
- Now from the admin panel, select "Triggers" under "Business Rules".
- Create the triggers following this instructions file.
Alert properties can be configured from Zendesk Integration / Advanced Settings page.
All set! You can now manage your Zendesk alerts at OpsGenie and leverage its full alerting functionality:
Configuring OpsGenie to Zendesk Integration (Optional)
There are two options for OpsGenie to Zendesk integration:
Direct integration with Zendesk
To let OpsGenie send alert actions to Zendesk, you can add the following information to your Zendesk integration.
- Go to OpsGenie Integration page and click on your Zendesk integration for edit.
- Make sure "Send Actions to Zendesk" is checked.
- Enter the subdomain for your Zendesk account. (e.g. opsgenie for https://opsgenie.zendesk.com)
- Enter an e-mail address and API token for a Zendesk user with agent role.
- Click "Save Integration".
OpsGenie will use these information to send Zendesk the API requests and keep your tickets up-to-date. This configuration is optional; you can leave "Send Actions to Zendesk" unchecked and keep using Zendesk integration one-way; with the benefits of forwarding Zendesk tickets to robust OpsGenie alerts.
Integration via Marid (Optional)
Alternatively, you can use OpsGenie's Zendesk integration package to create/update tickets on Zendesk. This will enable you to deploy your own scripts / modify the ones provided and execute customized actions on Zendesk.
To use Zendesk integration package, you need to follow the steps in the sections below through the end.
Download and install Zendesk packageFor Red Hat Based Distributions
- Download OpsGenie Zendesk (Linux RPM)
- Run the following command :
rpm -i opsgenie-zendesk-<your_version>.rpm
- Download OpsGenie Zendesk (Linux DEB)
- Run the following command :
dpkg -i opsgenie-zendesk-<your_version>.deb
- Download OpsGenie Zendesk (Windows)
- Unzip opsgenie integration zip file which contains Lamp and Marid packages into a directory (C:\opsgenie-integration is the preferred path. C:\opsgenie-integration\marid will be referred as MARID_HOME in the rest of documentation.)
- To install Marid as a service:
- Open a command window
- Go to <MARID_HOME> directory
- For 32 bit systems, run marid.exe -install
- For 64 bit systems, run marid_64.exe -install
Add Marid Integration in OpsGenie
Create a Marid Integration, obtain apiKey. You will paste the apiKey in the Configuration step into opsgenie-integration.conf file.
The plugin uses Marid utility (included in the plugin) to update tickets on Zendesk when alerts are updated.
- To start Marid, run the following command:
- To stop Marid, run the following command:
Marid is a java application; therefore requires the Java Runtime version 1.6+ Both the Open JDK and Oracle JVMs can be used.
#JAVA_HOME=<path/to/JDK or JRE/install>
To be able to execute actions on Zendesk, Marid gets the configuration parameters from /etc/opsgenie/conf/opsgenie-integration.conf file.
|apiKey||Copy the API key from the Marid integration you've created above|
|zendesk.url||Your company's Zendesk url; for example https://opsgenie.zendesk.com|
|zendesk.email||Enter an e-mail address and API token for a Zendesk user with agent role.|
For more information about Marid, see Marid support document.